Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Vietnam Travel: 72 hrs in Ho ChiMinh (Formerly known as Saigon)



Vietnam was never part of my bucket list but I have heard a lot of interesting story about it and have seen tons of pictures from the different traveler. 

 Weekend in Vietnam

It made me think twice when I booked my flight going there, not because I'm afraid but because I don't know if that is the right place to visit for a solo female traveler.

For some reason, a challenge is something I love taking and doing. So for those people who know me well, they were not surprised when I told them that I will go to Vietnam alone.

The excitement gets into me when I started preparing my suitcase. Making a checklist on what to bring and what to prepare is kinda not my thing but that means my journey is about to start.

Vietnam

Vietnam! Here I come 😄😄😄😄 I murmured.

I got into Vietnam around 2:00 AM their local time.
I planned to take a bus going to my hotel however I was told that it is no longer available so I tried booking a grab car instead but I guess I am not so lucky either. I didn't get one so I switched to  motorbike (Grab)




I was waiting at the arrival hall at the airport but I guess there has been a language barrier so they were not able to pick me up. It's past 2 o'clock in the morning, I'm tired and sleepy when a man approached me while I was figuring things out on how to get to my hotel.
He asked me if I need a ride because it's almost an hour that I was staring at my phone. I told him what happened and he offered me a ride. He haggled for the price of course. I was hesitant at first but hey, It's late and I am dead tired already. We walked to the parking lot and he took his motorbike. I was told by him that it is not allowed to carry my backpack and I should put it in front of the motorbike to be safe and yes! I trusted him! By the way, you can see motorbikes everywhere in
Ho Chiminh (Saigon)

Ho Chi Minh (Formerly known as Saigon)

It was not cold (at least for me) but on our way, He said that he needs to stop and get his jacket because he feels so cold which is fine with me but he got a raincoat instead and covered the front side of the motorbike which my bag is at. I felt nervous and kept on asking him how long still is the ride and he kept on saying 5 minutes and I asked the same question more than once and he answered the same time.
Busy Life in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)

Got into the hotel and paid him more than what he asked for.. when I get into my room the first thing I have in mind is to check the pocket in front of my backpack which I put the money from the currency exchange rate at the airport. My hunch was right, I lost some of my money and I felt bad for trusting him. (My bad! but lesson learned) I cried a little because that was the first bad experience I had traveling alone but hey, I have learned my lesson.


Little did I know, Vietnam will be one of the most memorable trips for me yet.

The following morning, I went straight to the front desk and told her what happened to me and she suggested that I should get a group tour package instead if that will make me feel safe. Since I will be staying just a little over 3 days, I did not take the risk anymore and just took the tour.



Along the trip, I have met different people from different country and experience what really Vietnam has to offer. That not so good experience I had with that motorbike driver didn't change the fact that not all Vietnamese are like him. Some of them will smile at you when they know that you are a visitor in their homeland, some would offer some help when they feel like you are lost and the most interesting part there is, is that, some would love to hear your travel story and why you visited their country.

I have tried their local dishes and eat on the street with locals.

Vietnamese Pho

Breakfast


Tried their awesome coffee too. It keeps me awake for the whole day.

 Vietnamese Coffee



Visited some of the most famous tourist spots. Know more about their rich culture and history.

Mekong River
Independence Palace 
War Remnants

Vietnam has a lot to offer. If you are a foodie and love adventure, make sure to include their country to your bucket list.

Thank you, Vietnam. You have taught me a lot of things.
It was a short trip yet a memorable one. I will definitely be back.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Turkey Travel: Mersin - Pearl of the Mediterranean

Turkey is a popular destination for a traveler who loves to be in nature and experiencing city life at the same time. Normally when you ...